Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Students Arrive

Yesterday was pretty crazy. The students arrive by plane, train, and automobiles. Someone from the staff has to go and pick-up the students and some students arrive in their own cars. Either way the staff is always adapting to changing flight plans and unexpected changes in the roster. It seemed pretty hectic the first day trying to remember all of my job tasks and getting instruction from the staff when they had time.

One of my jobs is to prepare coffee and tea before every meal. For the first few days with just the short-term workers and staff it was pretty simple. Now that all the students are here, I have to prepare 6 carafes of tea, 5 carafes of decaf coffee and 5 pots of regular coffee. The coffee is prepared in the large 80 cup pots. The pots are put on timers to go on before breakfast, lunch and dinner. The pots and carafes must all be washed and dryed and setup for the next meal after each meal.

I think the number of students this time is either the highest or second highest number; around 53. I helped setup the classrooms in the Library and the basements. We assembled two new whiteboards on stands with rollers for the library and front lounge.

Everyday I also collect all the recycle materials and take them to the collection bins. There are 12 different kinds of recycle here and it is mandatory in Austria to recycle. I can only remeber some of the 12 types: paper, plastics, metal, glass, cardboard, dark glass, light glass. Most of the vegitable scraps are collected in a barrel and taken to the compost pile each day. What an intersting smell.

There was a meeting of all the students and staff to welcome the students and pray last night. All the staff and all the short-term workers were introduced to the students so they know who we are.

I am sure I am missing something else, but I have to run and vacuum the kitchen and get it mopped before dinner.

No comments: