Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday Classes

Students here have classes on Saturdays. I think they have papers due because I see them in the library and common areas where we are cleaning during the day. Many of the students here have laptops and cell phones. It seems strange that they would have laptops due to the cost. We are told that their churches often provided the laptop for their use.

Today I caught up on recycling and helped clean the men's dorms and the Big Haus. I am amazed by the amount of material that we would normally throw out that is recycled here. The dumpsters for plastic and clean paper are almost full, but the garbage ones are only about half full. I hope the plastic one is collected soon. Even jumping up and down on top of the plastic is not making any more space. Milk and juice cartons must be broken down and flattend. They are extremely stubborn and it takes about 2 minutes a piece to cut them in the right place to rinse and flatten them. I guess there are about 6 or 8 milk cartons and 3 or 4 juice containers every morning and then a few more as the day goes on. I am in the habbit of looking in every garbage can around the buildings to see if they are full now.

I pretty much have the coffee and tea down to a science now. All this week I had to increase the amount of coffee made because we were running out. The students and professors are needing more and more each day. I think we are up to 9L which is about 63 cups. One of the pots is labeled with cups and the other is in liters. Have to do a little conversion based on cups per liter every time. Then there is about 20 cups of decaf coffee which not many seem to drink here. Add to that 5 carafes of tea. I think I am going to be sick of coffee grounds and tea bags by the time I get home.

Tomorrow is the first church service with all the students here. Last Sunday it was mostly staff and volunteers. We are also supposed to have an outing to Baden in the afternoon to look around. Baden looks like it is about 5 or 6 miles from here.

1 comment:

M&D said...

So glad to have had this chance to get caught up on your "blog". What wonderful pictures you've taken - glad you've had the chance to see these places and not to tired to enjoy them after your hard working days. I can just hear your engineer mind clicking away as you make that coffee!!!!! Do they have Starbucks there? Love you guys - God bless and keep you! Jim says Hi! M&D