Thursday, June 12, 2008

More of the Same

Yesterday was pretty busy, but more of the same. Making coffee and tea, recycling and cleaning. One of the long-term workers who stays here for 3 months had his day off today. I covered cleaning one of the men's dorm bathrooms while he was off today. The weather was cooler today so I was only drenched in sweat half of the day.

The main house (big haus) was built in the early 1900s and has a basement. Over the years as it has been expanded, there is a system of small tunnels that go out from the boiler room of the main house and run under the patio over to the pool. One part of the tunnel branches away to the patio classroom. These tunnels carry power, water and phone to the LTC (leadership training center). Sometime in the recent past, the buildings were connected with wireless antennas and then to the horse barn where the main internet connection is made. This has worked, but is not scaling well and often slows to a crawl. The IT manager is setting up equipment to connect the buildings using copper and fiber ethernet cable. They are in the middle of digging a long trench down the Big Haus driveway to the Cow Barn buiding. So today I got to help pull the copper cables from the Big Haus basement to the LTC through the tunnels. Very interesting. The tunnels are wider than sholder width but half hight so you have to hunch over to move through them. That was pretty much the highlight of my day, so I made sure I finished my cleaning this morning on time so that I could help with the cables. I did not have my camera with me, so I don't have pictures of that.

Tonight we had a planning meeting for our Friday off to Vienna. The staff takes us to the Ikea where there is a bus to the city. From Ikea to the city it cost 1.75 Euro, but to Ikea from the city it is free. Good marketing to get people to the mall. We are going to try to make some museums and see the Ephesus collection that is here for a short time. It will be a good trial run for the time that we will spend here after we leave Haus Edelwiss.

So we are off to Vienna after breakfast for the day while the students have a study day. Oh, and to make it more challenging, I have a head cold.

No comments: