Tuesday, June 10, 2008

First Day of Classes

Today was the first full day of classes for the students. My routine is pretty much the same, but the pace is increasing everyday. Today started much the same way the last few days have, preparing the coffee and tea and cleaning up after each meal. I have only hosted a table twice now. I think it was Lunch on Monday and Dinner on Tuesday. It goes so fast I am already starting to forget.

The rest of my day is mostly taking out the recycle several times a day to the correct bins and breaking down all the milk and juice containers. That takes longer than it sounds. I don't know what they make their milk and juice containers out of here, but it is pretty strong compared to ours. The interesting thing here is that Milk containers can sit unopened in cardboard containers for about 3 months. They don't seem to have to worry about milk or juice going bad here, it disappears at an amazing rate.

I think I will get the nickname "Crazy Sweaty Guy" because I am pretty much soaked with sweat all day long. I look like I just ran a maraton or something. Not sure if it is the humitity alone or just the pace. I think people are worried that I am going to collapse or something.

The really interesting thing is that most of the students are from Eastern European countries and it makes a bit impression on them that a man would be sweeping the floors or taking out the trash. I had one student say that she would never see a man in her country sweeping the floors. I told her that it was a regular occurence at my house. At lunch yesterday, one of the students asked me why I would come here and volunteer. I told her that we (all the workers) loved them and want them to succeed. They have the chance to reach people in countries that westerners could never go.

Tonight I hosted a table with all Russians. They either do not speak English or they did not feel comfortable trying. Mostly pointing and gestering to pass things and offer water or coffee. Lots of smiles and I think they are enjoying the food. It seems to disappear as well.

The staff had an appreciation party tonight where we could sample the regional deserts. They had various chocolates and tortes. All very good. We also got two copies of the Haus Edelweiss cookbook that you can look through when we get back.

Time for bed. There are coffee and tea pots with my name on them tomorrow.

1 comment:

M&D said...

Sounds fantastically crazy and wonderful! What kind of temps are they having? Know it was 59 when you got there! God bless you - and give you lots of stamina! M&D