Saturday, October 2, 2010

Second orientation

Today was more orientation. Tour of campus and lots more information. The emphasis in everything they do here is to make the best possible environment for the students to learn and have a break from their normal full-time jobs. Most of the students complete the required prep work before they arrive for their class and complete a semesters worth of work in just a week and a half. After lunch we met with our work areas for more specific instructions and eased into some initial tasks.

I am working in maintenance this time and in the dish room after dinner. I had forgotten about raking leaves living in the desert but I spent the afternoon getting re-acquainted with piles of leaves and chestnuts. The weather is just starting to get cold enough for an intermittent, but constant falling of leaves.

I will be hosting tables at lunch time but leave the dinner table early to prepare for the wave of dirty dishes as they arrive in their plastic tubs. Everything is done with a specific purpose in mind and to slowly prepare you for the doubling of speed when all the students arrive.

I got to spend a brief few minutes visiting with a student staying over from last session from the Ukraine. She helped me double the amount of Russian I know from 2 words to 4.

Tomorrow is a bit of a sight-seeing day so hopefully I will have time for more pictures. Looking forward to getting down to the routine of the work week and seeing more students.

Sent from Jeff's iPhone

No comments: